Monday, December 22, 2008

9 minutes of my life

My alarm went off at 6:01 this morning. I set it for 6:01 because I know I'm going to hit the snooze for another 9 minutes of sleep. So at 6:10, my alarm goes off again. Hmmmm... Now I start doing math problems. If I hit the snooze again, that would mean getting up at 6:19 which is an odd number, and I don't think I like that. I'm really tired so I hit the snooze again to buy me some time to think about whether or not I want to get up. No one else is up, so why the fuck do I need to get out of bed? Then I remember that we have a fair amount of snow on the driveway. And since my truck is in the shop, and I need to do a lot of driving around today, my Dad is going to chauffeur me around because he rocks. I'm sure that he doesn't want to try and plow through the drifts, so I should get up and go start up the snow blower and clear off my 750-1000 feet of driveway. Yeah, that's the ticket. Still, it only took me an hour and a half to clear it off the last two times, so if he is coming here at nine, and it takes me an hour and a half to clear the driveway (and about 30 minutes to shower and get dressed for work), then I can technically sleep until 7. I look at the clock and it says 6:14. Holy shit! it took me 4 minutes to make it through that train of thought! That's not good. Yet another reason to sleep a little more. Is it enough reason for me to reset my alarm so I don't have to keep hitting the snooze button after nine minutes each time until it's seven? Nahhhh. Plus, experience tells me that just because it normally takes me only an hour and a half to clear off the driveway, this time could take longer. I look at the clock and it's 6:16. Well, 6:10 plus nine minutes means that I need to figure this thing out in the next 3 minutes or suffer Andrea's wrath for having the alarm keep going off. Or I could reset it, but that take a lot of effort, and then I have to remember to reset it before I go to bed tonight... FUCK! I should get up. I should just get out of bed, put my snow gear on, and get out there and clear off the driveway. I look at the clock and it's 6:17. Ok, so my trains of thought aren't taking as long to process. That's a sign that my brain is starting to wake up. For me, once I wake up, I pretty much can't go back to bed for awhile (if at all), so that's another reason to get up. Ok, so I should get up. I repeatedly tell myself that I should get up, then look at the clock. 6:18. Oh shit! I have to commit in 60 seconds or less to getting up or going back to sleep. I fucking hate having to make choices sometimes when I'm not ready to commit to a choice and I don't think I'm really ready to commit to getting up or going back to sleep yet. DAMMIT! I hate being forced to do something! Well, now I'm getting pissed, and that wakes me up enough that I don't think I can go back asleep anyway so I should just get the fuck out of bed and do something productive. And so, before 6:19 rolls around, I get out of bed. I get dressed for working in the snow and the freezing temps, and head out the door to the big dog snow blower. And that is a glimpse of 9 minutes of my life in the morning. And honestly, it's not too different pretty much every morning. There may not be snow clearing to be done, but there is always something there to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment